Built in 1894, the 56-foot (17 m) tall lighthouse shines a beam visible for 21 miles (34 km), making it the strongest light on the Oregon Coast.
The lighthouse is an operating navigation beam which still has its original 1st order Fresnel lens. Its oil burning wick has been replaced with two incandescent bulbs. The Fresnel lens rotates on gears to direct a rotating beam of light out to sea.
Heceta Head is named after the Spanish explorer Bruno de Heceta, who explored the Pacific Northwest during the late 18th century.